Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tumwater Falls & Capitol Lake with the Meet-up Group

It was a beautiful (definition: over 45 degrees and not raining) morning to get out and walk with our meet-up group.  Our starting point was Tumwater Falls Park which, unfortunately, looked like it had sustained some damage from January's storm because part of the loop was closed for repair.  We were still able to walk onto the lower bridge, but not down to the bottom of the platform to view the lower falls.  There were lots of opportunities to take in the beautiful views of the water.  I forget how truly beautiful it is there.  I am going to try to go there more often this summer especially since it is so close to home.

We walked to Tumwater Historical Park then under the freeway overpass over to and around Capitol Lake and back, covering about 5 miles in all.  The girls came along, but they split off when we reached the lake to go over to Wagner's and get some treats.  We met up with them later on. 

It was nice getting to know some new folks as well as re-establishing contacts with those from the last time we hiked with this group at Evergreen.  Some people ended up going to Falls Terrace afterwards, but we headed home to get Winston bathed.  He got pretty wet & yucky being such a low rider.  Hoping next Saturday is as nice for our next meet-up.

View of the Deshutes River right below the upper falls.

Girls & Winston patiently waiting to get started.


Gabby took this photo of me.  So happy I didn't have to wear a coat today!


Falls Terrace Restaurant above the falls. 

The upper falls.




It was a pretty big group-20 something people came.

Another group photo, this time I made it in!






A small viewing dock further down the river.




The lower bridge


The old brewery





This is the bottom of the falls.  A bit further down the river meets up with Capitol Lake.

Capitol Lake





Fish ladders for the salmon that come through in the fall.

The underside of the I-5 overpass.



Peekaboo of the Capitol

Gabby found some blooming crocus.

1 comment:

Rozanne said...

5 miles is a long walk! Way to go! I love the picture of Gabby in the middle of the tree with 4 trunks. :) I enjoy seeing pictures of Washington since the landscape is so different from here. I loved the crocuses in the last one too. Trees are starting to bloom here. I always get excited about spring coming.

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...