Sunday, August 9, 2020

Dege Peak Trail

 

This morning Clarissa joined Gabby, Scott & me on the Dege Peak Trail that starts at Sunrise on Mt. Rainier.  I am so glad we got to go back to Sunrise and get in another hike!  Since it's at 6400 feet, this side of Mt. Rainier is only open about 3 months out of the year due to weather conditions so I always feel a little special getting to go.  It was super sunny, clear and cool and we had wonderful views of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker and Mt. Adams! The hike itself is 4 miles roundtrip and gains about 600 feet of elevation; the peak of Dege is a little over 7000 feet. A little bit of history: Dege Peak was named in 1932 for James Henry Dege, a prominent Tacoma businessman and Captain of the First Regiment National Guard of Washington state. We saw lots of beautiful wildflowers and chipmunks.  It was a fairly busy trail but not as bad as Sourdough Ridge which goes in the opposite direction.  The last .3 miles is a fairly steep but short push to the top that affords panoramic views.  I'm sure my legs will be super sore tomorrow, but I'm glad I pushed myself to the top!  What a day!

A little daunting from the start as you realize you're going to have to go up!

It's actually a little bit of a hike up to the start of the trail.

From here we went to the right. 1.6 miles to the peak!
This is right after we turned right. The other people are heading up to Sourdough Ridge.

Gabby cut me out of the picture..that's my arm!
Pasqueflower seed heads.

Me and Clarissa
I was nervous she got so close to the edge!

That's Dege Peak!
The start of the final push!
Mt Adams

Dege Peak looked so close!  You can see how steep that trail was!
I couldn't stop taking photos of Rainier...it was just too beautiful!

They waited for me at the top.  It took me a while to get there!







One last photo...


No comments:

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...