Thursday, December 22, 2022

Kitchen Remodel

Well, both good news & bad news. First, the good news. Our long-awaited kitchen remodel project has begun! We purchased our cabinets through Lowes way back on September 17th, they arrived on November 14th, and after waiting for redeliver of some damaged pieces, the demolition of the kitchen happened on Tuesday.  The demo actually went better than expected; not too much damage was found and they finished in one day.  We weren't sure what we would find once everything was ripped out so that was a relief.  Now onto the bad news. The next day (yesterday), they came back to install the new cabinets.  However, it was then that they realized that the store had ordered the wrong sized upper cabinets (42") which is way too tall for our short ceilings. They also ordered the wrong sink cabinet as we are having a farm sink installed and the cabinet they ordered was for a regular sink.  Needless to say, things did not go as planned.  Right now, we are sans kitchen and are awaiting information on when they can order us the right cabinets and how long it will take for them to arrive.  In the meantime, we just have to make do with microwave meals and eating out.  Also, since we have no sink, we have to use disposable dishware and cutlery, which is not ideal.  The silver lining is that we are really pleased with the color of the cabinets that we ordered.  We will update as progress is made.  Here are some before and after demo pictures, as well as a few of the lower cabinets that they staged in the kitchen.

I really hated this peninsula. I felt like it really closed off the kitchen and made it feel way smaller than it was.


Our new fridge which is way lower profile than what was there originally.

Our new stove which I love.





The puppies wanted to be in the pictures!


I snuck in and took these mid-demo pics when the guy was on lunch break.


Entirely empty!

Found a piece of original flooring. I actually like it better than the flooring that they covered it up with (the ugly gray stripes). We will replace the kitchen and dining room with wood looking LVP once the cabinets are installed to make the two rooms more cohesive.

Some drywall damage where the sink was next to the window.

We have to keep it blocked off from the dogs.  Our new cabinets!

We are missing a small cabinet here.


Corner cabinet with a lazy Susan. 

The sink cabinet that was ordered incorrectly as it's not for a farm sink mount.

1 comment:

Eric and Rozanne said...

So frustrating! I'm glad you are still able to look at the positive. I looked at it again today on the computer and I can see the color much better. It's pretty. I like the brown/bronze color a lot! It's going to be such a big improvement! I bet you are SOOOO excited! I bet that green and brown linoleum is under all the dining room carpet too. :) It's interesting to see the phases that they built things. That peninsula must have come later. Will you keep the little bookshelf in the dining room right next to the kitchen?

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...