Monday, September 29, 2025

Volunteering

Scott & Gabby spent Saturday morning up in Seattle volunteering for National Public Lands Day. Here is Gabby's write up and some pictures of the event. 

Dad and I volunteered at the Ballard Locks for National Public Lands Day. Our park ranger said this is the biggest public volunteer event in the country! I had seen the event on their sandwich board sign a few weeks ago when Ethan and I went to the Locks to see the salmon run. Volunteers had the option to help plant a pollinator garden or clear invasive plants, and we opted for the latter. We forgot to take a before picture, but we ended up clearing a huge patch of invasive Himalayan blackberry and native Fireweed stalks (which was just dead and ready to be removed). You couldn't tell when we started, but our pruning revealed a lot of native plants underneath the invasives, like Snowberry, Salal, and some native Trailing Blackberry. It felt good to volunteer and see how just a few hours of labor can yield a big result. After our shift, we headed back to the apartment to change clothes and grab brunch at Greenwood American Bistro, which Ethan and I had not been to yet.


A nice friendly spider.

Gabby working hard.







 

No comments:

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...