Saturday, May 5, 2012

Snoqualmie Falls Volksmarch & Yoh! Hike

Today I combined two of my favorite things-volksmarching & hiking-into a Yoh! event at the Snoqualmie Falls volksmarch.  It was a bit disappointing because the viewing area of the lower falls was closed due to construction.  If we had known that was the case, we probably wouldn't have driven the hour+ up there.  Those volksmarching people tricked us!  We did get to see some of the falls & some cool trains that were part of the Northwest Railway Museum.

After the volksmarch we stopped at the east side of Tiger Mountain off Highway 18 for a quick picnic lunch & some hiking. It was a really beautiful area and we spent about an hour on the trails.  I wish we had had more time to hike.  This will definitely be going on our list of future Yoh! hikes.

Corey pretending to be a hobo.  The trains were her favorite part of the day.


Gondola Car


Tank Car


Corey & Kassia in front of the switcher.


Heisler


Steam Crane


3-Truck Shay.  Say that three times fast!

Box Car.  Who knew there were so many different train names?

View of Snoqualmie River as it heads to the falls.

My favorite picture of the day of Corey & Kassia on the bridge.



Beautiful covered bridge which goes to a parking lot area.

Cute & clever writings on the stairs.


May is Rhody month & a few were blooming.




The upper falls were beautiful, but incredibly hard to photograph because the fence kept us way back from the edge.  I had to take the pictures with my arms raised above my head, so they were a bit crooked at times.






Near the end of the volksmarch we walked through the town of Snoqualmie.  Here is the school district administration building.


The city hall was really modern looking which was a bit out of place in this historical little town.







Corey couldn't get enough of the trains!





The Mallet



Corey & I by the volkssport flag.
At Tiger Mountain







We saw this really cute Corgi on the trail.  He had been mountain biking with his owner so he was a wee bit muddy.

3 comments:

Rozanne said...

Cool trains! I can tell Corey really loved the trains. I loved your pictures of the falls and the city of Snowqualmie looks very quaint. The more I see all the places you visit, the more I realize that there were so many things we never saw in Washington.

Rozanne said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the rhodies. When we went house hunting in Washington, it was May, and I remembered being awestruck by the beautiful flowers blooming everywhere. I thought I was in a tropical paradise or something. Little did I know they only bloomed in May! :) I do miss the rhodies though. Rhodies don't do well here! Too hot!

Susan said...

I love Rhodies, too, but do hate that their bloom time is so short! -Susan

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...