On Monday we decided to head out early because the crowds during larch season are crazy. We got to the trailhead at 6:00am and hiked the first mile in the dark using our headlamps. It wasn't as cold as we thought it would be. Just a couple days earlier it had snowed on this trail, but the snow was all gone. We hiked the Heather-Maple Pass Loop, which is 7.2 miles roundtrip with an elevation gain of 2020 feet. After a couple months of being sick and fatigued, I was not up to completing the entire hike, so we did a more moderate version, heading up and back on one side of the loop. We still managed to get in 5.23 miles with 1,198 feet of elevation gain. We were able to get up close and personal with the larches, which was my ultimate goal. They sure were beautiful and I'm so happy to finally get them crossed off my bucket list! We finished the hike before 10:30am and then went into Mazama to a little bakery for treats & drinks. When we got back to the cabin, I took a shower & chilled. Later that evening we explored the cute town of Winthrop and had a family style dinner at Meza, which was delicious. After dinner we all spent some time in the hot tub soaking our sore aching muscles. Later that night we headed up into the hills to see the stars and the northern lights that just happened to be visible, more so through the camera than with the naked eye. We also saw a coyote and some deer on our drive back. The next morning Pam & Teresa did another early hike, but Michele & I passed. We were still too sore! We ended up heading home at 9:15am and with little traffic was able to get back to Tacoma before 2pm. I'm so glad I got to go and spend some time in the North Cascades, which I have only driven through once a long time ago. It is a very beautiful area, and I hope to get back there some day.
 |
| Teresa & Michele with their headlamps on. |
 |
| My first ever sunrise hike. It was so cool! |
 |
| Interesting to see mushrooms so high up in elevation! |
 |
| The trail was super rocky & rooty. It was not fun! |
 |
| Me and Pam. |
 |
| Larches! |
 |
| Proof I made it! |
 |
| Bridge near our cabin. |
No comments:
Post a Comment