Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mima Mounds

Today we travelled a little south of Tumwater to visit the Mima (pronounced mee-mah) Mounds. When I researched these mounds on the Internet, they seemed pretty interesting. However, in real life they are not so interesting, pretty much a bunch of mounds with grass growing on them. I guess there are many theories of how these mounds have come to exist. Personally, I think they are the work of prehistoric giant moles. We went around the 1/3 mile loop and didn't really see anything worth mentioning other than a couple of potato bugs (or rollie-pollies as Corey likes to call them). Oh yes, we did see a big spider on the little boardwalk that scared Gabby enough that she would not walk by it. I took a couple of pictures, anyway, so here they are.


Scott learning all about the Mima Mounds


Gabby & Corey looking at that big spider.


On the observation deck.


Corey & Scott on the trail.


The observation station.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! And YES, those flowers are all in my back yard! We just moved into the house in September, so it's all fun surprises for us! The original owner of the house loved to garden, and I heard that something new will be blooming throughout the spring about every two weeks. It looks like the poppies and hostas are coming up now, but who knows what else is growing.

Loved the Mima Mounds post and the idea of the mounds being mole hills. Very funny!

Hugs,
Shelly

Fourtner Family said...

I think the most exciting part is that no one seems to know what the cause is! I like the glacier theory, myself, but yours is much more creative!

Eric and Rozanne said...

Hmmm...I always wondered about those Mounds. Alex had a campout in that area once and we never could really figure them out, but it is fun to speculate.

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...