Saturday, December 29, 2012

Longmire Snowshoe

For Christmas this year Scott bought me some snowshoes, which I just love!  Even though Scott doesn't like the cold, he agreed to go up to Mt Rainier so I could try them out.  With 3 other borrowed pairs, we were all set for our snowshoeing adventure.  The weather called for a dry day, so we were surprised to find it snowing when we got to Longmire.  But we didn't mind at all!  It was just like a winter wonderland.  Scott said that he enjoyed himself a lot so maybe this will be the start of many winter adventures!
This was our first stop to get information about the trails in the area. 


Figuring out which snowshoes went with which person.

The hardest part was getting them on & tightened.
We snowshoed the short, but very pretty Trail of the Shadows.


We did a loop around this beautiful meadow.

I thought the X was cool & was crossing my fingers they would not come down on me as I passed under :)

This cabin was built by James Longmire's son, Elcaine, in 1888. The cedar cabin measures 14 by 16 feet. Restoration was done on it by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1934 and, more recently, by the Park Service. It's the oldest structure in the park.

Snowshoe bunnies

First of several bridges we encountered.






We were not sure how that snow hung on the roof like that.

Corey feeling really tall.

Beautiful Mt. Rainier in the background. 


Corey's icicle.

I thought this picture was funny.  What are Scott & Gabby looking at?

I used my new flexible camera mount (another Christmas gift) to get this photo of us in front of this beautiful bridge.


View from the bridge.

Scott forming a snowball & looking mighty guilty.  A lot of snowballs were flying around today.

View from the other side of the bridge.

I asked Gabby to take this photo of Scott & I.

And I ended up with this self-portrait :)



Corey is looking pretty happy.

Jumping for joy!


They all loved this sign.



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

that looks like a perfect day!

Eric and Rozanne said...

That looks awesome!! I love all that snow! Its been a long time since I have seen so much snow! I am a bit jealous! I LOVE the picture of you and Scott under the bridge. I am glad that even Scott enjoyed it.

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...