Saturday, June 6, 2009

Northwest Trek

Gabby has been wanting to go to Northwest Trek for a while now. I've been reluctant to go because it is so expensive. I went on their website and saw that today they were having a Volkssport event and if you participated in either their 5k or 10k hike you could get in for free. And, if you completed the event they give you half price tickets for the tram. So it was now or never. Actually, it couldn't have been a more perfect day now that the really hot weather has finally left and the cooler weather seemed to bring out most of the animals. Plus we didn't melt on that 5k walk. And I'm happy to report I did not see any snakes (other than the two in their glass tank...but I didn't get too close). We hiked first then ate our picnic lunch. After that we went on the one hour tram ride. Everyone had a great time!

For more information on Volkssport events, visit http://www.ava.org/


Snowy White Owl...looks a bit like Hedwig
White mountain goat

Gabby waiting in line for the tram

Wolves

Gabby & a wolf

Girls with a tree that dates back to 1335
Those are hundreds of bees back there making honey

Pretty flower

Grizzly bear

At the entrance with a moose

In the gift shop

Gabby at the penny machine

The finished product

On the trail

Gabby & tree (those little plaques show events that happened in different years during its life)

Gabby doing her Vanna White impression next to a cougar

This is called a fisher

a cougar

Mommy mountain goat with her baby

Corey next to information about the horned owl
Corey checking out the grizzly bear paw imprint

Black tailed deer that was right next to the tram

A black bear. It wouldn't turn around!

Bison with baby.

Beautiful view, there is another tram on the bottom

Bald eagles, they're permanently disabled and can't fly

A badger

Baby mountain goat

1 comment:

Rozanne said...

I can't believe ALL the animals you saw! Whenever we went, we never saw much! You did well: got exercise, got in free, and even all on a good day! Go Susan!!

A Chorus Line

Scott and I bought a season pass to the 5th Avenue Theater for the 2026-2027 season, which will consist of 5 shows.  Our first show was A Ch...