
Happy Groundhog Day everyone! I dug up some background information on this holiday and this is what I found: Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 2nd in the US and Canada on which if a groundhog emerges from its burrow and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If it is sunny and the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks. The largest Groundhog Day celebration has been held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania since at least 1886. Unfortunately for us their famous resident, Punxsutawney Phil, saw his shadow today so that means six more weeks of winter. Darn! I demand a do-over!
3 comments:
I was waiting to hear how often the groundhog's shadow has actually been an accurate prediction because as for me, I'm ready for spring. :) Do some more research and get back to me on that, what do ya say?
I did a little research for you, Rozanne...unfortunately there is no answer to that question. One site says he's 100% accurate and another says only 37%. It's hard to know who you can believe. So I guess you'll just have to keep track over the next 10 years and let me know what you come up with!
What I want to know is why he's more scared of his shadow than of all the strangers gathered around and waking him in the middle of his hibernation! An early spring would be delightful, though!
Post a Comment